[netCDF #SVC-505747]: netCDF-4 performance using HDF5 on top of MPIIO

Hi,

> The http://www.hdfgroup.org/newsletters/bulletin20100226.html is not my case.
> The netCDF 4.0.x was built with hdf5 1.8.4.1.
> And I got the below error message when I try to run ncdump command.
>
> "Can't open HDF5 attribute"
>
> You can see the message with test code(f90tst_parallel.f90) which is in
> netCDF source directory.
> I've added the functions in the test code.
>
> ! With the classic model netCDF-4 file, enddef must be called.
> Call handel_err(nf90_enddef(ncid))
>
> --- added
> call handle_err(nf90_redef(ncid))
> call handel_err(nf90_def_dim(ncid,"test",nz,z_dimid))
> call handel_err(nf90_def_var,"test",nf90_int,z_dimid,zvarid))
> call handel_err(nf90_enddef(ncid))
>
> If you compile with netCDF4 using hdf5 on top of MPIIO, you can see the error
> message as running ncdump in netCDF 4.0.x.
>
> And when converting output created with parallel I/O with netCDF4 and not
> parallel I/O with netCDF4 to text form by ncdump in netCDF version 4.1.x
> through 4.2.0, the output created with parallel I/O with netCDF4 takes quit
> long time than the output created with serial netCDF4.
> So I guess it's something to do with poor performance.

All I can suggest is upgrading to version 4.2.x or the upcoming 4.3.0 release.
The 4.0.1 release had lots of bugs that
have since been fixed, and the same is true of older HDF5 1.8.x releases.  For
example, we recently encountered a
similar bug with files written using parallel-netcdf not permitting adding new
variables or other metadata correctly
using serial netCDF-4, and a fix for that bug will be in netCDF 4.3.0:

   Fix bug with some pnetcdf files getting corrupted by calling nc_enddef in a
file open for writing
   https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/NCF-234

Anyway, thanks for reporting the problem.

--Russ

Ticket ID: SVC-505747
Department: Support netCDF