[netCDF #ERY-773358]: (regular real*4 or real*8) binary file to netCDF

Hi Arlindo,

> I would appreciate if somebody could help me on
> this problem:
>
> (1) Is there available a software tool to convert a
> (normal) binary file to a netCDF file ?

No, primarily for these reasons:

  - There is no standard for the format of a "(normal) binary file".
    Binary files written from different languages and different
    operating systems can be wildly different.
  - Binary files typically have no metadata describing the data they
    contain, and netCDF files require such metadata to make the file
    "self describing".  For example, a netCDF file must contain names
    for all variables, as well as specifications of their types and
    shapes (e.g. the "dimensions" used to specify common grids).

> (2) If so, could you, please,
> send me the link to the respective site?
>
> (3) In case such a tool is
> not available, could you, please, let me know about someone who
> might
> have solved a similar problem before ?

There are software packages that convert data from one binary
format to another, for example from GRIB to netCDF or HDF-EOS to
netCDF.  However, usually something is lost in such a conversion,
because different formats are based on different conceptual models
of the data.

By Googling "converting to netcdf" and similar phrases, you can find
some examples of such software packages.  You can even find software
by searching for "converting binary files to netcdf", but you'll see
that the matches are not very useful, because "binary file" is too
vague ...

--Russ

> I thank you for the kindness of
> your attention and help.