[netCDF #YRC-237402]: netcdf4 dimensions output comment out

> Hi Russ,
>
> Thanks for your explanation.
>
> Recently JPSS program converted some hdf5 files into netcdf4 by removing
> some meta data
> information.
>
> One example of output netcdf4:
> ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/corp/scsb/wchen/tmp/TATMS_npp_d20120911_t1359540_e1400256_b04529_c20120911202503549711_noaa_ops.nc
>
> If viewed from hdfview, no those meta data, it's a netcdf4 file, right?  Or
> you think this still a
> hdf5 file?

It's a netCDF-4 file, as running the netCDF-4 ncdump utility shows:

  $ ncdump -k
~/Downloads/TATMS_npp_d20120911_t1359540_e1400256_b04529_c20120911202503549711_noaa_ops.nc
  netCDF-4

Of course it's also an HDF5 file, because netCDF-4 files are just special kinds
of
HDF5 files with some added artifacts to support the netCDF-4 data model, which
is
different from the HDF5 data model.

> The input hdf5 used is:
> ftp://ftp.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/corp/scsb/wchen/tmp/TATMS_npp_d20120911_t1359540_e1400256_b04529_c20120911202503549711_noaa_ops.h5

Yes, that's an HDF5 file that's not a netCDF-4 file, and the netCDF-4 file
can't currently
read it, although the netCDF-4 library can read some HDF5 files that don't use
the HDF5
features in this list:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv15

> That's the reason that lead me to think it's possible to skip meta data
> information in netcdf4 file.
>
> All those red "A" on some original hdf5 fields are gone in output nc file.
> I guess they removed attributes.

h5dump should work on both files and make it clear what was removed.

--Russ

Ticket ID: YRC-237402
Department: Support netCDF