[netCDF #PDK-779646]: netcdf 4.1.3 with ifort 11.1

Hi Prashant,

> On my MAC OS X 10.6.8, I am trying to compile netcdf 4.1.3 using ifort 11.1
> (XCode 3.2.6 is installed so ifort works)

You may find things work better with the current netCDF-4.2.1.1 release, which
has some bugs fixed,
including some portability problems that netcdf 4.1.3 had.  However, releases
since 4.1.3 have
separated the netCDF C, Fortran, and C++ libraries into separate packages,
requiring building and
installing the netCDF-C library first, then optioanlly the other libraries, if
needed.

> As per intel instructions at:
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-netcdf-with-the-intel-compilers
> i did:
> export CC=icc
> export CXX=icpc
> export CFLAGS='-O3 -xHost -ip -no-prec-div'
> export CXXFLAGS='-O3 -xHost -ip -no-prec-div'
> export F77=ifort
> export FFLAGS='-O3 -xHost -ip -no-prec-div -mdynamic-no-pic'
>
> Then I did :
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/pmv/bin/netcdf/4_1_3
> but it did not find hdf5, so as per netcdf instructions, I did:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/pmv/bin/netcdf/4_1_3 --disable-netcdf-4
>
> All went well.
>
> Then I did:
> make
> All well so far
>
> Then I did:
> make check
>
> I get:
> 1 of 9 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

That doesn't tell us where the test failed.  If it was a DAP remote access
test,
you could ignore the failure if it was due to a problem with our test server, or
by configuring with --disable-dap-remote-tests before running "make check
install".

> Then I did:
> make install
> It worked.
>
> My questions:
> 1. What do I do to get hdf5?

You can download the latest version of HDF5 from

  http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/release/obtain5.html

You can either build it from source, or use MacPorts to build and install the
"hdf5-18" package, though I'm not sure whether it works for OSX 10.6.8.  If
you decide to use MacPorts, you can also get netCDF built and installed the
same way: running

  port install netcdf

will first get and install the hdf5-18 package on which it depends, then build
and install netCDF-4, version 4.2.1.1.

> 2. Is that 1 of 9 error something to worry about? How to correct it?

We can't tell without more information about which test failed.

--Russ

Ticket ID: PDK-779646
Department: Support netCDF