[netCDF #NAH-825145]: NETCDF4 installation problem in AIX 7.1

> > No, any version of xlc should work OK for any version of netCDF.  What you
> > need to do is
> > look at the config.log file and find the error message associated with the
> > configure test
> > "checking whether the C compiler works", to see why it didn't work.  If
> > you can't find the
> > problem in the config.log file, just send that file to us and we'll look
> > at it.
>
> *
> *
> *Attaching the config.log file. *

Thanks, here's the relevant part of the config.log file, the result of the
configure script trying to compile a very simple
C program file containing a program that does nothing but return a program
status:

  configure:4489: checking whether the C compiler works
  configure:4511: xlc -qmaxmem=16384 -DSYSV -D_AIX -D_AIX32 -D_AIX41 -D_AIX43
-D_AIX51-D_AIX52 -D_AIX53 -D_AIX61 -  D_AIX71 -D_ALL_SOURCE -DFUNCPROTO=15 -O
-I/opt/freeware/include  -L/opt/freeware/lib64 -L/opt/freeware/lib --Wl,-
blibpath:/opt/freeware/lib64:/opt/freeware/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
-Wl,-bmaxdata:0x80000000 conftest.c  >&5
  xlc: 1501-216 (W) command option
--Wl,-blibpath:/opt/freeware/lib64:/opt/freeware/lib:/usr/lib:/lib is not
recognized - passed   to ld
  1506-261 (W) Suboption _AIX51-D_AIX52 is not valid for option D.
  ld: 0706-012 The -- flag is not recognized.
  ld: 0706-012 The -W flag is not recognized.
  ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l
,-blibpath:/opt/freeware/lib64:/opt/freeware/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
        ld:open(): No such file or directory
  configure:4515: $? = 255
  configure:4553: result: no

It looks like Linux-specific flags (and possibly gcc-specific) compiler options
are being used with xlc.
In particular, the "--Wl," syntax used to pass options to the loader is not
recognized by xlc.

It's possible that you have some environment variables set, such as CFLAGS,
CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, LDLIBS,
and others, that are not appropriate for xlc.  Other possibilities are that you
have an alias for xlc that adds
some of these options, or an xlc shell script in your path that invokes xlc
with additional options.

Could you look at the environment variables you have set before invoking the
configure script to see if they are
interfering with xlc?  The problem is whatever is causing these extra options
to be passed to xlc ...

--Russ

> Sometimes
> > it's just a simple problem, such as that the compiler is not requires a
> > license or it's
> > not configured correctly.  Make sure you can use xlc to compile a simple C
> > program before
> > you try to use it to build netCDF.
> >

> *
> *
> *The xlc is perfectly compiled with simple program.*
>

> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: NAH-825145
> > Department: Support netCDF