[netCDF #HJV-751630]: permissions

Hi Jeffrey,

> Our company would like permission to use the NetCDF library to
> supplement our proprietary software.  Assuming that Unidata owns the
> NetCDF software, would you please reply that Pratt and Whitney has
> permission to incorporate NetCDF software in Pratt & Whitney software.

The open source copyright for Unidata netCDF software is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/copyright.html

It specifies rights and obligations on the use of netCDF, including
permission to use the netCDF library in other proprietary software.

More background on Unidata software licensing for other packages as
well as netCDF is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/legal/participation.html

under the "Provision of Software" section.

I see that there is no longer a link to the netCDF open source copyright
from the netCDF FAQ, so I'm adding it back in, as a link associated with
the word "freely" in the answer associated with the first FAQ question:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#whatisit

--Russ

Ticket ID: HJV-751630
Department: Support netCDF