[netCDF #OQJ-741904]: NAG Fortran shared library?

Hi Sean,

> I was trying to compile the Fortran interface with NAG 5.3.1 (on top
> of GCC 4.4), and there were a few bumps along the way. In particular,
> netCDF's build system doesn't know the flags necessary to build a shared
> library with NAG (mostly they are the same as for gcc, with an extra
> "-Wl," prepended).
>
> I was wondering if a) there was any chance this could be added, and b) you
> would be interested in seeing the modifications I made to fix this on my
> own. I did manage to get a .so built that tests (and seems to run) fine,
> by adding a few lines to m4/libtool.m4 and adding a few FFLAGS/FCFLAGS.

We don't have the NAG Fortran compiler installed here, and we're considering
moving the Fortran distribution to CMake rather than the autotools build
system, but haven't tackled that yet.  If you have modifications to the
configure.ac file that we use with "autoreconf -i" to generate the configure
script, we might insert them for now, but it's unlikely we would have the
resources to install and maintain a NAG compiler to test that before each
release.

However, if you sent us the details, I could make that available on
our Web site in the "Other Builds" page:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html

so other NAG compiler users could find it.

Thanks for your work and offering your changes to the community.

--Russ

Ticket ID: OQJ-741904
Department: Support netCDF