[netCDF #JSU-487825]: unable to locate netcdf.mod

Hi Grant,

Sorry to  have taken so long to respond to your question ...
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.8
> Description of problem:
>
> I'm new to netcdf and am trying to compile a simple F90 program that
> has the 'use netcdf' statement at the top.   The compile fails with the
> message that netcdf.mod can't be found.   I understand from a web search
> that netcdf.mod should probably be in /sw/lib somewhere, but it doesn't
> appear to exist on the system at all.

The netcdf.mod file (which some compilers name "netcdf.MOD") is typically stored
in an "include/" directory, such as /sw/include/ rather than /sw/lib/.  It's the
Fortran-90 module file that defines the library interfaces for Fortran-90
programs
that make use of the netCDF library.

> Here's my compile line:
>
> gfortran t.f90 -L/sw/lib -lnetcdf -L/sw/lib/netcdf-gfortran -lnetcdff
>
> Here's what's installed (marked with 'i'):
>
> fink list netcdf
> Information about 11902 packages read in 2 seconds.
> nco-netcdf                      4.0.9-1                 OBSOLETE, use 'nco'
> instead
> i   netcdf                          3.6.3-6                 Interface & lib
> for array-based data access
> (i)  netcdf-bin                      4.2.1-1                 Array-based data
> access, user programs
> netcdf-c7                       4.2.1-1                 Array-based data
> access, C headers and docs
> (i)  netcdf-c7-shlibs                4.2.1-1                 Array-based data
> access, C library
> netcdf-cxx4                     4.2-2                   Array-based data
> access, C++ headers and docs
> netcdf-cxx4-shlibs              4.2-2                   Array-based data
> access, C++ library
> netcdf-fortran5                 4.2-4                   Array-based data
> access, Fortran headers/doc
> netcdf-fortran5-shlibs          4.2-4                   Array-based data
> access, Fortran library
> netcdf-g95                      3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib for
> array-based data access
> netcdf-g95-shlibs               3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib for
> array-based data access
> i   netcdf-gfortran                 3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib
> for array-based data access
> i   netcdf-gfortran-shlibs          3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib
> for array-based data access
> netcdf-perl-pm588               1.2.3-7                 Perl extension for
> netCDF datasets access
> i   netcdf-shlibs                   3.6.3-6                 Interface & lib
> for array-based data access
> netcdf7                         4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> access, headers and docs
> netcdf7-bin                     4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> access, interface
> netcdf7-gfortran                4.1.3-11                Interface & lib for
> array-based data access
> netcdf7-gfortran-shlibs         4.1.3-11                Interface & lib for
> array-based data access
> netcdf7-shlibs                  4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> access, headers and docs
>

> Please let me know if I overlooked something I should have installed.

This email and the followup from the fink users mailing list may be helpful:

Also, with a MacOS-X system you can use the "Searchlight" tool in the upper
right on the menubar to find files like "netcdf.mod".  When a list of such files
appears, just hold down the option-command key combination while your cursor
is over the name, and the path to the file will appear at the bottom of the
information window about the file, to the left of the list.

--Russ

Ticket ID: JSU-487825
Department: Support netCDF