[netCDF #LOS-408248]: netcdf library

Hi,

> Thanks for the recommendation,  i open the link that you gave to me, and:
>

> - Building with NetCDF-4 and the Remote Data
> Client<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_default.html>
> - Building NetCDF with Classic Library
> Only<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_classic.html>
> - Building with HDF4
> Support<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_hdf4.html>
> - Building with Parallel I/O
> Support<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_parallel.html>
> - Building netCDF for
> Windows<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/win_netcdf/>
> - Building netCDF-Fortran
> Libraries<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html>
> - ./configure
> options<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/configure_options.html>
>

> My questions are:
> 1. Is ther any guideline how to instal in in fedora 14

If you have "yum" for installing Fedora binaries, you could just use

  yum install netcdf

which would install version 4.1.1.

We recommend installing the latest version 4.2.1.1 from source, using the
instructions at
one of the links listed on

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/building.html

depending on what features of netCDF you need.

> 2. Which one from the list that i have to install in my fedora? do i have
> to pick only one among them?

If you are getting netCDF only to access existing netCDF data in "netCDF
classic" format, also called netCDF-3 format, then you could get by with
the simplest build, described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_classic.html

If you want to be able to access netCDF data from remote archives, including
accessing small subsets of data from large files without copying the files to
your local disk, don't specify "--disable-dap" when you configure the software.

If you will be accessing netCDF data that uses compression, chunking, or large
variables as supported by the netCDF-4 format, you should build the default,
following the instructions here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_default.html

That will also support accessing netCDF-3 classic format data.

For more information on the different formats, see this FAQ section:

  Formats, Data Models, and Software Releases
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#formats-and-versions

> I am sorry, i am quite beginner in installation of netcdf library.

No problem, we test on Linux platforms so any of the versions should build
fairly
easily on your Fedora system.

--Russ

Ticket ID: LOS-408248