Jan Aschmann: Re: [netCDF #MCW-760344]: Strange behaviour of nc_put_var

--- Begin Message ---
  • Subject: Re: [netCDF #MCW-760344]: Strange behaviour of nc_put_var
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:22:28 +0200
Hi Russ,

thank you very much for your help. I have used the newer version 4.2 of the
library and now it works perfectly. And thanks for the advice that the C
library is also necessary to compile the fortran variant. Actually I have
tried to compile the fortran version before but always without the C library,
so I eventually gave up and went back to 4.1.3. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to explicitly point out on the Netcdf web site that the C library is
required for the fortran library. For a newcomer like me that is not that
obvious. Likely that I have overlooked something, but I didn't find anything
on the your download web site nor in the supplied README in the fortran
package. Only after I have downloaded the C version I found a corresponding
hint in the INSTALL file. It might be a good idea to include such a file also
in the fortran-4.2 package.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your prompt support.

Best regards,

Jan

>> Full Name: Jan Aschmann
>> Email Address: address@hidden
>> Package Version: 4.1.3
>> Operating System: AIX 6.1
>> Hardware: IBM PowerPC 64-Bit
>> Description of problem:
>>
>> Dear Sir or Madam,
>>
>> I have encountered a strange problem when trying to write an 2D integer
>> array to a netcdf-file (see attached code). I use the 4.1.3 library on
>> an IBM AIX 64-bit machine, compiled either completely with gcc/gfortran
>> or xlC/xlf. In both cases, if I compile and run the attached program I
>> get this kind of strange output (xlf version):
>>
>> xlf95_r -q64 -O0 -qstrict -o test test.f90
>> -L/hb/jaschman/netcdf4_withHDF5/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf
>> -I/hb/jaschman/netcdf4_withHDF5/include -L/hb/jaschman/HDF5/lib -lhdf5_hl
>> -lhdf5 ** test   === End of Compilation 1 ===
>> 1501-510  Compilation successful for file test.f90.
>> jaschman@odin:~> ./test
>> write out to file... .nc
>> 17 17 0 778986336
>>
>> Apparently, the last line comes out of the nf90_put_var subroutine,
>> representing a memory violation. This occurs also if I use gfortran with
>> a correspondingly compiled netcdf-library.
>>
>> Have I done something wrong in compiling the library in the first place? I
>> have used the following flags: export CC=xlc_r
>> export CXX=xlC_r
>> export F77=xlf_r
>> export FC=xlf95_r
>> export CFLAGS='-q64 -O3 -qstrict -qarch=auto -qtune=auto'
>> export CXXFLAGS='-q64 -O3 -qstrict -qarch=auto -qtune=auto'
>> export FFLAGS='-q64 -O3 -qstrict -qarch=auto -qtune=auto'
>> export FCFLAGS='-qsuffix=f=f90 -q64 -O3 -qstrict -qarch=auto -qtune=auto'
>> export CPPFLAGS='-DIBMR2Fortran'
>> export ARFLAGS='-X64 -cru'
>> export NMFLAGS=-X32_64
>>
>> My configure:
>> ./configure --prefix=/hb/jaschman/netcdf4_withHDF5
>> --with-hdf5=/hb/jaschman/hdf5 --disable-dap --disable-shared
>>
>> Note that I got the same behaviour if I disabled netcdf4 features
>> (i.e. compile without HDF5). The abnormal behaviour vanishes if I use
>> another data type as integer for the variable int_date or if I add
>> another dimension. Strange enough the resulting nc file is always
>> correctly created, whether the mysterious output appears or not.
>> Perhaps you can help me out in this case.
>
>Hi Jan,
>
>You did nothing wrong, the problem is a debugging statement that was
>unfortunatelyly left in the netCDF-4.1.3 Fortran-90 code, as described here:
>
>  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg10490.html
>
>You could just remove the debugging statement and rebuild the library, or
>you could upgrade to the latest version of the netCDF C library (4.2.1.1)
>and Fortran library (4.2).  They are not bundled together now, you need
>to first build and install the C library, then build and install the Fortran
>library, specifying where the C library was installed.  This is described
> [...]

Dr. Jan Aschmann
Institute of Environmental Physics (IUP)
Atmospheric Modeling Group
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de/atmospheric/
phone: ++49-(0)421-218-62114
email: address@hidden