[netCDF #AGV-789182]: Total NetCDF usage

Hi Steve,

> I'm writing a paper on NetCDF data compression and would
> like to quote some overall statistics on NetCDF.  Do you have
> and rough estimates on ...
> - How much data worldwide is currently in NetCDF format?
> - How much new data is written in NetCDF format each day?
>
> I know these would be the roughest of ballpark figures, but
> still it would give the reader an idea of the importance of
> NetCDF.  Or perhaps I could just use figures closer to home,
> say the total amount of NOAA data written daily in NetCDF format.

Sorry, we don't have even any rough estimates of that sort.

It might be of interest that the $10B GOES-R project has selected
netCDF-4 for representation format of all ground-segment data, which
will ultimately be petabytes.  The CMIP5 archives for the IPCC are
also mandated to be netCDF with CF conventions, which will also be
petabytes.

The only recent usage statistics I know of, presented to our governing
committees, are these:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2012Apr/statusreports/metrics/

which require lots of clicking on links to drill down to numbers for netCDF,
such as 85000 downloads/year, 117 countries, over 900 support replies/year,
and over 1 TB/month of data downloaded from out THREDDS service (TDS).

There are a few more usage statistics at the end of this netCDF status report:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2012Apr/statusreports/netcdf.html

including links to a few more detailed metrics.

--Russ

Ticket ID: AGV-789182
Department: Support netCDF