[netCDF #FYC-635019]: netCDF make check fail at t_nc

Chen,

> Thank you for the help! You are right, it was the incompatable of the older
> version of netcdf with my 64 bits opensuse 11.4.
>
> I reinstalled libnetcdf-devel, version 4.0.1-9.3 via yast2 on my opensuse
> laptop. Now, t_nc passed the make check. But,

I don't know what "version 4.0.1-9.3" refers to.  Is this netCDF version 4.0.1,
or are
you still working with netCDF version 3.6.3?  The line numbers in program files
often
change between versions, so knowing the version of the source distribution is
helpful.

> I got the tst_name error as following. Is it also related to the my 64 bits
> setup?

I don't think so.  If I can trust the line numbers, they seem to be referring
to tests
of creating a new dimension, variable, and attribute using an invalid Unicode
UTF-8
name, to make sure that the netCDF functions return the error code NC_EBADNAM
in that
case.  It has nothing to do with 32-bit versus 64-bit, just looking at bytes and
character encodings.

> *** testing names with file tst_names.nc...
> *** switching to netCDF classic format...Sorry! Unexpected result,
> tst_names.c, line: 256
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 259
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 262
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 265
> 4 failures
> *** switching to netCDF 64-bit offset format...Sorry! Unexpected result,
> tst_names.c, line: 256
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 259
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 262
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_names.c, line: 265
> 4 failures
> 8 errors detected! Sorry!
> FAIL: tst_names
> 1 of 5 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/testGMT/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/testGMT/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Any ideas?

No, those errors are puzzling.  Just to make sure, could you try
running "make distclean" before building the netCDF libraries
again, or re-install a later version of netCDF, if available?
For GMT, you don't need netCDF-4, so you can build from the latest
version using the "--disable-netcdf-4" option to configure.

If yast doesn't have a version more recent than 4.0.1 or 3.6.3, then
maybe you should try building from source yourself, using these
instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/

--Russ

Ticket ID: FYC-635019