Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf.h declares non-existing functions

Hi Heiko: I made a fix to the logic PDL-NetCDF uses to detect if netcdf-4 support is available. In the previous version, a simple check for the pre-processor symbol NC_NETCDF4 being defined is made--if it is, then netcdf-4 support is found.

Recent netcdf releases, however, have been defining NC_NETCDF4 whether or not netcdf-4 support is actually present (meaning netcdf is compiled with HDF5).

The change I made includes a test compile and link of nc_inq_var_deflate to determine if netcdf-4 support is available. The logic is in Makefile.PL, not netcdf.pd. I've used this procedure before in my PDL-Graphics-PLplot interface and it works well.

I'm sending this to you instead of just putting it on CPAN because (1) I can't get netcdf-4 support compiled in on my machine, so I can't test it properly and (2) you added the netcdf-4 support so I'd like you to look it over.

Could you take a look and see if this makes sense to you? If you've got a netcdf-4 enabled netcdf on one of your systems, it would be great if you could test it out.

Thanks much,

  Doug

address@hidden
Software Engineer