[netCDF #EHY-348053]: Retrieving dimension values from netCDF file using fortran library

Hi David,

> How does one retrieve the dimension values from a NetCDF file using the
> Fortran (or C) library interface.  The netCDF Fortran 90 Interface guide
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-f90.pdf)
> describes a function NF90_INQUIRE_DIMENSION but this only appears to
> return the name and the length of the dimension.

Right, a dimension only has a name and a length.  The associated coordinate
variable, which has the same name as the dimension, has the coordinate
values, in the simple case when there is a 1D coordinate variable.

> The R ncdf library manual
> (http://cirrus.ucsd.edu/~pierce/ncdf/ncdf-manual.pdf) has methods
> dim.def.ncdf for creating dimensions that have values.  I am looking to
> read these values in a Fortran program accessing this file.

You should be able to read the values from the associated variable using
the nf_get_var_TYPE or nf90_get_var interfaces, depending on whether
you're using F77 or F90.

--Russ

Ticket ID: EHY-348053
Department: Support netCDF