[netCDF #XEN-661854]: netCDF binaries for windows 64bit

Hi Stefano,

> I'm trying to compile netCDF as DLLs under windows (64 bit) with Visual
> Studio 2008 but without any success.
>
> I have tried version 4.2, 4.1.3 and  4.0.1 and,  although I have been
> able to compile  the 4.0.1, there seems to be some configuration issue
> because I'm not able to read some data (in particular I get an error
> using the function nc_get_vara_float) but I'm sure that the source file
> is correct and also that the code is correct (we hold a 64bit compiled
> DLL of version 4.0.  1 called via a VB.NET wrapper and it works properly
> but we are not able to recompile it from scratch anymore).
>
> Is there any way to have the precompiled binaries for Windows amd64
> platform (either 4.2 or 4.1.3) or at least any guide that can help me
> in compiling one of the two version (because they come with a lot of
> dependencies and not all of them can be built through CMake)?  I know that
> some precompiled binaries exists for version 4.1.3 but I have not been
> able to use them (when loading them from the VB.NET wrapper an exception
> occurs that prevent the loading of the native netCDF library). Should
> you need any information about it let me know.

Currently we do not have precompiled binaries for Windows, but we have
recently hired a developer to improve netCDF Windows support.  His initial
focus will be helping to improve netCDF support for Windows platforms. We
hope to report success in making netCDF more useful to Windows users and
developers over the next few months.

In the meantime, maybe this set of instructions from ParaTools will help:

  http://www.paratools.com/Azure/NetCDF

Alternatively, we have a few other suggestions at the end of this FAQ answer:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/#windows_netcdf4_1

--Russ

Ticket ID: XEN-661854
Department: Support netCDF