[netCDF #GNU-359210]: NCDUMP

Greetings Conrado,

ncdump will output the data in ascii if you like. Here is one approach you
could use to do this.

1) look at the headers of the netCDF file to see what data are available:

ncdump -h your_file.nc

2) once you know which variables you would like to extract, use ncdump like
this:

ncdump -v var1,var2,var3,..,varN your_file.nc >> your_data.txt

where var1, var2, etc are the variable names you would like to see represented
in the ascii data file your_data.txt. So, for example, your command may look
something like:

ncdump -v time,temperature,pressure,height data.nc >> data.txt

Also, have a look at the netCDF FAQ to see more tools that can be used to get
your data into ascii, including a plugin for excel (see the second link under
"General":

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/#netcdf_faq

Cheers!

Sean

> Hi,
>
> I have some NETCDF data in version 4. I use the ncdump command but I
> don't have experience in use it.
>
> I would like know, how can I save only my data in ascii. I don't like
> to save the grids points. There is one way to read the ncdump output to
> get only the data values.
>
> Thank, Conrado

Ticket ID: GNU-359210
Department: Support netCDF