[netCDF #FUL-645927]: netcdf make check tests fail to locate libhdf5.so.7 and libhdf5_hl.so.7

Hi Melanie,

I think the problem may be that you are trying to execute "make check install"
using sudo, and the setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not inherited by the root
user through sudo, as this would be a security problem.

Try running "make check" as the same user who set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but not
using sudo.  Then, if that works, you can run "sudo make install", which
will not need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /usr/local/lib to run correctly.

In order to successfully run "make check" as a normal user after having
tried to run it with "sudo", you may need to first run "sudo make clean"
or start over from the compressed tar file.

--Russ

> I'm installing netcdf on Ubuntu 11.10. I've installed zlib and hdf5
> successfully and now I'm attempting to install netcdf4.1.3. My configure
> command is:
> sudo CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local --enable-netcdf-4 --enable-shared
> I've set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and $LD_RUN_PATH to /usr/local/lib. The
> permissions are set correctly on the library files located in
> /usr/local/lib.
> However, when I run 'sudo make check install', I get the following error:
>
> make  check-TESTS
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mcooke/Downloads/netcdf-4.1.3/h5_test'
> ./tst_h_files: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.7:
> FAIL: tst_h_files
> ./tst_h_files2: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.7:
> FAIL: tst_h_files2
> ./tst_h_files4: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.7:
> FAIL: tst_h_files4
> ./tst_h_atts: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5_hl.so.7:
> FAIL: tst_h_atts
>
> *** Checking HDF5 attribute functions some more.
> *** Tests successful!
> PASS: tst_h_atts3
>
> *** Checking HDF5 attribute functions for memory leaks.
> *** Tests successful!
> PASS: tst_h_atts4
> ./tst_h_vars: error while loading shared libraries: libhdf5.so.7: cannot
> [more similar failure messages]
> FAIL: tst_h_dimscales4
> 24 of 26 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
>
> I searched for this problem and found this support thread:
> from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg10724.html
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg10790.html
>
> When I try cd man4; make Doxyfile.stamp, I get an error:
> make: *** No rule to make target `Doxyfile.stamp'.  Stop.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> -Melanie

Ticket ID: FUL-645927