[netCDF #TWY-871356]: License question

Andrew,

> Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have one further question then. Do you
> consider that incorporating the netCDF Windows DLL or Linux shared library
> into another software creates a "derivative work"?

No, I do not consider the result of using the library as it's intended, by
linking to it, creates a "derivative work".
But I am not a lawyer, so I'm not sure whether my opinion on that question is
of much value.  However, as the
head of netCDF development, maintenance, and support, I can assure you that we
have no intention of taking
any legal action against users of the software, even when such use involves
incorporation of netCDF software
in commercial products.  We want to see the software widely used.

--Russ

Ticket ID: TWY-871356
Department: Support netCDF