[netCDF #ESK-579185]: Re: access to /glade file that demos large block size performance problem

> Ahhh - that makes sense. Does make using the ncid as a subscript for various
> purposes a bit tricky, though.

Yup, but you can get the fileid and groupid out of the ncid (which is called
the "locid
in much of the documentation) by just dividing by 65536 or taking remainder of
dividing
by 65536, respectively.

--Russ

> >> Unrelated, but a quick question - why are the ncid values I get from
> >> nf_open so large and in units of 65,536?
> >
> > Good question, it's an artifact of how netCDF-4 combines both the file
> > ID and the group ID into one 32-bit integer for netCDF-4.  So with
> > 2^16 open files each of which has 2^16 groups, you would use up all the
> > 2^32 integers with group IDs of open netCDF files.
> >
> > --Russ

Ticket ID: ESK-579185
Department: Support netCDF