[netCDF #YVQ-214480]: Patch for Intel fortran on Mac OS

> Ouch!  This has *everything* to do with the patch to libtool.m4!   ;-)

Oops, sorry, I'm embarrassed to admit I just typed that in and got the
case wrong.  The message I cut and pasted, as I should have done for
the option.  The patch is fine, and the option was in fact
"-Wl,-force_load" that libtool objected to.

> In your argument "-wl,-force_load", the "w" absolutely must be upper
> case!  This comes directly from my libtool patch!  If lower case, this
> probably explains the exact symptom that you just described!  Where
> did the W get changed to lower case?  Probably start by checking the
> copy of libtool.m4 in your current test directory.  HTH.
>
> -Wl is a common compiler flag prefix (gfortran, ifort, others) that
> tells the Fortran compiler to ignore the contained argument and pass
> it on to the linker.  In a libtool command, it should be processed the
> same way.  This mechanism MUST be working correctly for the dynamic
> library to succeed.
>
> --Dave
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Unidata netCDF Support
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Great.  Following the new sentence about autoreconf, I think it should
> >> say something like "Then perform a complete build in the normal way,
> >> starting with running the configure script".
> >
> > Yes, that's more helpful.  For the new split netcdf-fortran-4.2 release,
> > I actually need to apply the patch to the m4/libtools.m4 in the fortran
> > release sources in addition to (or maybe instead of) in the C release.
> >
> > I'm currently having problems in the Fortran library linking step, but it
> > has nothing to do with the patch to libtool.m4.  libtool is called with a
> > link argument "-wl,-force_load" and gives the error message:
> >
> >  /usr/bin/libtool: unknown option character `f' in: -force_load
> >
> > I need to do a little Googling research on this, but in the meantime, I may
> > be able to test the modified configure for 4.1.3 and 4.1.2 in parallel
> > and make that available ...
> >
> > --Russ

Ticket ID: YVQ-214480
Department: Support netCDF