[netCDF #NUB-980093]: Libtool update needed for Mac OS

Hi Dave,

> I am trying to debug a make check failure for Netcdf 4.1.3 (and
> earlier versions) on Mac OS with Intel fortran.  The symptom is that
> the fortran 90 API is present in the static library, but missing
> from the shared library libnetcdff.*.dylib.  Make check then fails
> near the beginning of F90 tests.
>
> There is a characteristic message in the console output from make check:
>
> ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option
> '-force_load,../f90/.libs/libnetcdff90.a'
>
> which is followed shortly thereafter by a slew of compile errors
> from tst_f90.f90.
>
> To make a long story short, there is a problem in the configure
> script that results in a malformed link command to make
> libnetcdff.*.dylib.  There is a new libtool release which adds tests
> and flag settings for various compilers and platforms, including
> Intel fortran.
>
> It is likely that if you upgrade to the new libtool 2.4.2, then
> regenerate the netcdf configure script, that the problem will be
> fixed.  Other compiler/platform combinations may also be helped.
> Unfortunately I ran out of time today before I could finish testing
> this, but intermediate tests were promising.
>
> I mention this now because I think it is the same problem that may
> have been reported to you earlier today by Barry McInnes of our IT
> support team.  You may want to try the libtool update before diving
> into the gory details of the configure script.
>
> Please let me know if you have success.  Thank you.

The platform on which we build our releases is a Fedora Linux system, and
apparently libtool-2.4.2 is not yet mature enough to be supported by the
Fedora package management system, yum.  However, I've downloaded the 2.4.2
source and will be testing it tonight, to make sure using it doesn't result
in any new problems on other platforms.

Thanks for the information about this problem.  I'll let you know if it
works, in which case we'll include the newly generated configure script
in the upcoming netCDF-4.2-beta release.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NUB-980093
Department: Support netCDF