[Support #TKN-783839]: Availability of Win64bits library

Hi,

> I would like to know if a Win64bits-compiled version of netCDF is
> available for :
>
> - netCDF itself

No, sorry, we the only precompiled netCDF DLLs for the C API that we
make available are for 32-bit, from older versions 4.1.1 and 4.1.2:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-4.1.1-win32-bin.zip
and

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-unofficial-4.1.2-beta1.zip

There are also some more recent DLLs available for testing, as announced in
this
posting to the netcdfgroup mailing list in May:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00170.html

We think netCDF can be used with Win64, but it requires building from
source using the right options for specifying a 64-bit environment for
the compilers you use.  Various compilers have different ways of
specifying a 64-bit environment, and you also have to make sure the
right include files and library paths are used.

We have not tested netCDF for Win64, however, so it may be that some
changes are required in the source.

Please note that it is not necessary to compile netCDF in Win64 to be
able to use the 64-bit offset format of netCDF or to use netCDF-4.
Currently all netCDF formats supported by Unidata software may be
written or read using only a 32-bit development environment.

> - eventually plus for its java API

The current netcdf-Java works fine in a 64-bit environment.

> If it doesn't exist, where can I find the directive for compiling the
> sources under Win64 ?
>
> For information I saw the url
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00363.html,
>  which deals about such a port, but without any support

We have incorporated much of that port in the current netCDF snapshot, for
eventual
release in netCDF version 4.2.  You can try compiling from source by getting the
current snapshot from

  http://svn.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/netcdf/trunk/

--Russ

Ticket ID: TKN-783839