[netCDF #KMW-354832]: "make check" error report for NETCDF-4.1.3

Hi Sam,

> I'm trying to install NETCDF 4.1.3 on my RHEL4. (along with HDF5-1.8.7
> HDF4.2.6) After the "make check" command, the following message popped-up
> in the end (complete log file is attached):

> 4 of 63 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Cypresslin/ClusterAPP/netcdf-4.1.3/nc_test4'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Cypresslin/ClusterAPP/netcdf-4.1.3/nc_test4'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> By inspecting the "make check" log file, it seems like there is no
> "unexpected failures" exist.
> But the "make check" stopped with Errors.
>
> my configure goes with these flags
> ./configure --prefix=/home/Cypresslin/APP/NETCDF  --enable-benchmarks
> --enable-large-file-tests --disable-fortran --enable-dap
> --enable-hdf4-file-tests --enable-netcdf-4 \
> --with-zlib=/usr/lib64 \
> --with-szlib=/opt/app/szip/lib \
> --with-temp-large=/scra3/guest \
> --with-udunits
>
> Is that a normal situation?

We apparently didn't test the "--enable-benchmarks" very well, it gets
errors.  You may also have had a problem of not enough disk when you
were running the benchmark test

  *** Create some files for testing benchmarks.
  *** Creating very large 3D file...Sorry! Unexpected result,
tst_create_files.c, line: 62
  FAIL: tst_create_files

If I omit --enable-benchmarks (and --with-szlib=... because I don't
have that installed) everything checks out OK with 4.1.3. I recommend that
you not enable benchmarks, which are mostly intended for our internal
performance testing.

I'll add a note about the --enable-benchmarks failing on our "Known Problems"
web page.

--Russ

Ticket ID: KMW-354832
Department: Support netCDF