[netCDF #NCE-881982]: 4.1.3 and the --width-hdf5 flag?

Dave,

> Woah! That whooshing sound you heard was the knowledge of that change
> swooping by over my head. :)  Thanks for clearing it up.
>
> You know, the configure script happily accepts the --with-hdf5 flag with
> nary a hint of complaint. As a suggestion, how about if you modify the
> configure.in or applicable m4 file so that it prints out essentially what
> you wrote me in the email if a --with-hdf5 argument is supplied?  That would
> stop this error in its tracks.
>
> And, upon failing to find the hdf5 library, right now the configure prints
> out:
>
> configure: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 library. Use
> --disable-netcdf-4, or see config.log for errors.
>
> Maybe it could be changed to:
>
> configure: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 library. Add the location
> of the hdf5 include and library directories to the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
> environmental variables, or use --disable-netcdf-4, or see config.log for
> errors.
>
> Those minor tweaks might reduce the number of support tickets you get
> regarding this change.

Excellent suggestions, it's too bad we didn't do those for the 4.1.3 release,
but
we got no comments on the 4.1.3-rc1 release candidate.  I didn't realize that
the
configure script still accepts the "--with-hdf5" option without complaint.

We'll put those on our list for the 4.1.4 release ...

And continued thanks for developing, maintaining, and supporting ncview!

--Russ

Ticket ID: NCE-881982
Department: Support netCDF