[netCDF #YWP-403246]: compiling netCDF

Chad,

> Sean,
>
> I am using the atest ubuntu 11.0.4, just downloaded and installed las
> week.  Here is the ouput you requested:
>
> chad@chad-MacBookPro:~$ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
> chad@chad-MacBookPro:~$ ls -la /bin/sh
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 25 21:07 /bin/sh -> dash*
> chad@chad-MacBookPro:~$

The failures you get for `make check` show up when using ifort during the
tests, and once again ifort is having issues finding the Intel shared objects.
Just out of curiosity, is /bin/bash also a symlink to /bin/dash? If so, then
that is the problem - dash is not 100% compatible with bash, and thus the Intel
scripts may not be fully functional. If it is a link to dash, use apt-get to
install bash and then try to rebuild.

> I am not sure if I should open a separate support issue for this, but
> I am running into a data incompatibility problem.  I want to use
> Tecplot 360 (tecplot.com) for visualzing and making movies of output
> from WRF.  Tecplot 360 support HDF5 data, but WRF only suports netCDF
> without HDF5, from what I have read and been told by wrfhelp.  How can
> I get my data into Tecplot 360 from a netCDF file that has no HDF5?
> Do you know if WRF planps to upgrade to HDF5 support soon?

I am not sure what the plans are with WRF,as it is not developed at Unidata.
The folks at NCAR who are involved in the administration of the codebase should
be able to answer that question (I'd check with WRFhelp). The questions to ask
would be if/when WRF plans to use netCDF4.

> I suppose we would need to get this netCDF 4 with HDF5 support to
> compile, then I could write a program that read the netCDF without
> HDF5 data, then wrote it back with netCDF with HDF5.  Is netCDF 4 with
> HDF5 backwards compatible with output from say netCDF 363?  So, if I
> write a code using netCDF4 with HDF5, can I read netCDF 363 data and
> then write it back in HDF5 format?

netCDF4 will read data written with netCDF3 - no problems :-) That said...

> Do you guys have any utiities that
> already do this?  A simple utility that reads in a netCDF 363 data
> file and upgrades it to netCDF4 with HDF5 support?  If you do not, you
> should write one.  It would be simple for you guys that know netCDF so
> well.   If I have to do it, its going to take me a while to figure out
> how.... time I really do not have right now.

If you check out the netCDF FAQ
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html), there is an entry
about how to do this
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv13).

> I can write code in
> Fortran and C, but would prefer to use Python.  Python can usually
> call C libraries, so do you know for sure if Python can link to
> netCDF4 with HDF5 support?

Since nccopy can do what you need it to do (once we get it to compile, that
is), it may be of general interest to know that there is a netCDF4 python
wrapper that is functional, although a few features are missing (see
http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/). I've compiled and used this on
MacOSX and it works great so far.

Sean

Ticket ID: YWP-403246