[netCDF #YWP-403246]: compiling netCDF

Greetings Dr. Coulliette!

> Hello,
>
> My name is Dr. Chad Coulliette.  I am working with Professor Alex
> Mahalov at Arizona State University.  I have been trying to compile
> netCDF on Ubuntu Linux 64-bit.  The hardware is a MacBook Pro with a
> Intel Duo Core 64-bit processor.  I want to compile and use WRF, but
> need netCDF first.  I have netCDF installed as a package using
> synaptic, but I suspect there is something deficient about it, so we
> have been trying to compile and install netCDF from source code.  I
> have netCDF-4.1.2 and have tried with both GNU compilers and Intel
> compilers.  The GNU compilers seem to compile ok....no errors during
> make, but when I run "make check" it finds problems, and the message
> actually says to contact this email address.

From looking through the make-gcc.log, you seem to be using the Intel fortran
compiler `ifort` along side the gcc `cc` compiler - this is because .configure
could not find any other fortran compiler (i.e. gfortran) in your $PATH. The
error you are getting, as indicated in the make-test-gcc.log file, is due to
problems finding the Intel shared objects. This is probably because when you
building with a GNU environment in mind and so you didn't source ifortvars.sh.
If you want to go the GNU route, try installing gfortran.

> With the Intel
> compilers, it crashes during the make.  I included log files of the
> configure, make and make check for the GNU compilers, and included log
> files for the configure and make for the Intel compilers.
>
> For the Intel compiler, I have been following the instructions at
>
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-netcdf-with-the-intel-compilers/
>
> Are these the best compile instructions?  They might be too old,
> because I noticed a complaint about the compiler flag -xT being
> depreciated.  I tried to take it out and run everything over, but the
> results were the same.

The instructions above are for an older version of netCDF. I would check out
the Unidata netCDF docs, which can be found here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Building-on-Unix.html#Building-on-Unix

These docs do not specifically look at using the Intel compiler, but it should
give you some general reference.

What happens if you do not set any flags by hand, but only source iccvars.sh
and ifortvars.sh before building?

Cheers!

Sean Arms

> Could you examine the log files and let me know what to do?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chad

Ticket ID: YWP-403246
Department: Support netCDF