[netCDF #KZX-489887]: Status of NETCDF4 for Windows (non-Cygwin)

> Well, thanks, but for us this is really all about getting to NETCDF4,
> which provides some features that we particularly need.
>
> I'm also a little nervous about flying with a squadron of DLLs outside of
> the system set and a DLL or two for key stuff in our product environment.
> So we're going to have to figure out static libraries on this.
>
> Am I correct in understanding that you're building on Cygwin with Unix
> style tools (make, etc.) and DJ Delorie's compiler port?  I can see why
> you would need to only do DLLs - since the object files are not going to
> be linkable in a VCC linked program.
>
> Still, I may have something that can help.
>
> We use a more or less standard set of makefiles in our world, that pretend
> all the usual things with regard to libraries having a ".a" extension,
> objects having ".o" extension, and file names being Unix form.  We run
> those on Cygwin by way of a python script that knows a lot about compiler
> and linker syntax, options, and the MSVC++ equivalents.  The script has a
> table up front that lets it turn file names into the Windows equivalents.
> We've been building and shipping product with it for close to ten years.
> It's still got a home brew feel to it - but it keeps us from having to
> deal with visual studio as a build environment (for those of us who want
> to).
>
> Interested?
>
> -jrm

Howdy JRM!

Thanks for the offer, but as our staff is so small (just three of us working on
netCDF-C/Fortran/C++ at this time) we cannot maintain multiple build systems.

However the netCDF library builds cleanly within cygwin. Also, when building
under mingw, static libraries as well as dlls are produced.

My build with netCDF-4 is completing, but I cannot get the HDF5 DLL to run
correctly in my build environment. As soon as I solve that problem I will
release the netCDF-4 DLLs.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: KZX-489887