[netCDF #ZFH-402738]: problem when install the Netcdf

Hi Zehua,

> I am a WRF user.I come from Tianjin University,P.R. China. Now I am doing a
> research on climate change using the WRF.
> I use Ubuntu OS, Intel Fortran composer XE, Intel C++ composer XE,
> netcdf4.0.1.When I install the Netcdf, I encounter some problems. After I use
> the command'make check', the computer reports the result as following.
>
> frank@ubuntu:~/netcdf/netcdf-4.0.1$ make check
> Making check in libsrc
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> make  t_nc
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> make[2]: `t_nc' is up to date.
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> make  check-TESTS
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> trying again
> FAIL: t_nc
> 1 of 1 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/frank/.local/share/Trash/files/netcdf-4.0.1/libsrc'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> I donot have any idea how to solve the problem. Hope to receive your
> warm-hearted help soon.

This could happen if you don't have write permission in the libsrc
directory when you run "make check".  Otherwise, I can't tell what
the error is.  Could you edit the file libsrc/t_nc.c around line 367
to insert a statement that will report the actual error?  You need to
change

        if(ret != NC_NOERR) {
                (void) fprintf(stderr, "trying again\n");
                ret = nc__create(fname,NC_CLOBBER, initialsz, &chunksz, &id);
        }

by inserting one statement, to look like this instead:

        if(ret != NC_NOERR) {
                (void) fprintf(stderr, "trying again\n");
                ret = nc__create(fname,NC_CLOBBER, initialsz, &chunksz, &id);
                printf("%s\n", nc_strerror(ret));
        }

Then if it's still not clear what the problem is, please send the error
output and we'll see if we can diagnose what the problem is.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZFH-402738
Department: Support netCDF