[netCDF #DBY-733925]: netCDF

Hi Dave,

> Package Version: 3.6.1
> Operating System: RHEL 5.5
> Hardware: Linux Cluster
>
> We have a user running a PGI compiled code trying to use a v3.6.1
> gnu compiled netCDF library. The code compiles and loads ok, but the
> complaint is that on reading the data not all is present. The user was
> told by another organization that a PGI compiled version of netCDF was
> required. Assuming the code and usage of netCDF is correct, is it true
> that a PGI version of is required? As admins we would prefer not to have
> to maintain multiple versions of the netCDF library.

With C application code compiled using pgcc, it should be OK to call a
netCDF library built with gcc.  Is the user code a Fortran application
that is calling the Fortran netCDF API?

In that case, it's likely that you will need a netCDF library built
for the PGI convention for how Fortran code calls functions in a C
library, because there was no standard way to do this before
Fortran-2003, and we don't yet support the Fortran-2003 standard.

The Portland Group maintains instructions for how to build netCDF with
their compilers:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/tips.htm#NETCDF

and recommends using pgcc with pgfortran, but our testing was
successful with netCDF version 4.1.1 using gcc with pgf95 in our on a
32-bit Linux system:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_1_1/index.jsp

--Russ

Ticket ID: DBY-733925