[netCDF #HJN-289811]: missing nc_def_var_deflate function

Hi Frank,

> I'm trying to compile several NCAR utilities and they fail because
> nc_def_var_deflate is missing from the libnetcdf4 packages.
>
> Where can this function be found? Is there a replacement?

It's in all versions of netCDF-4, so I suspect you are inadvertently linking
with a version-3
netCDF library.  Check whether a shared library for netCDF-3 is installed or in
your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Also make sure the netcdf.h include file you're using
includes these lines:

  /* Set compression settings for a variable. Lower is faster, higher is
    * better. Must be called after nc_def_var and before nc_enddef. */
  EXTERNL int
  nc_def_var_deflate(int ncid, int varid, int shuffle, int deflate,
                   int deflate_level);

If not, you may have a library installed from the netCDF-4 sources but built
with the
--disable-netcdf-4 configure flag or without an HDF5 library required for
building
netCDF-4.

--Russ

Ticket ID: HJN-289811