[netCDF #SBB-184327]: netCDF with MSYS/mingw-w64

> Hi,
>
> I have recently tried to compile netCDF 4.1.1 with the mingw-w64
> toolchain from mingw-w64.sourceforge.net. This is a 32 and/or 64-bit
> GCC toolchain for Windows.
>
> I ran the compilation from MSYS to run the configure and make commands.
>
> > configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32
> > make
> > make test
>
> Some remarks/bugs:
> 1. the --build option is needed, because MSYS is detected as
> "i686-pc-msys" and thus cross-compilation is "invoked", which tried
> the command "link" as linker, but this is incorrect: link is a tool
> provided by MSYS, and "ld" or "nm" should be used for this purpose.
> This is a bug in the configure script.
> 2. the file v2i.c in libsrc is missing a #include "nc.h" for the
> definition of struct NC for line 39. Adding this include at line 12
> let compilation complete.
> 3. make test produces three failures, log is zipped and attached. Comments:
> - tst_output.sh: failure due to line endings see log)
> - tst_calendars.sh: genuine failure
> - tst_nccopy3.sh: failure due to mismatch output from msvcrt's printf
> function. Number is correct, just printed differently.
>
> Thanks for any response to this!
>
> Ruben Van Boxem
>
> PS: I came across this project because it is used www.ABINIT.org,
> which downloads and uses an archaic version (3.6.3) itself if
> libnetCDF isn't found.

Howdy Ruben!

I am now building the netCDF library on cygwin, with target=mingw32. This is
not quite the same as what you were trying to do, but close.

Since your email, the architecture of the library has changed a lot. The v2i.c
file is now in the libdispatch directory, and I'm not sure that it needs to
include nc.h any more.

As for the line ending problem, I am not sure what I should do. Do you have any
suggestions?

Could you try this with the daily snapshot release?
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: SBB-184327
Department: Support netCDF