[netCDF #RMU-812085]: netcdf-4.1.1

Hi Vanesa,

> I'm installing again netcdf 4.1 in a debian lenny with Intel compilers.
> When I run ./configure as user it works ok, generate config.status and I have
> no
> error but as C compiler I get gcc.
> When I run ./ as root I get C compiler icc but I get an error
>
> cannot run C compiled programs
>
> Why is that?

The root user has a different value of the PATH environment variable
than you do as a non-root user.  PATH lists the directories that are
searched for programs, such as the gcc and icc compilers.  Evidently
the directory containing icc occurs earlier in root's PATH than the
directory in which gcc is found, and the opposite is the case for your
PATH.

You don't have to configure, make all, or make check as root to
install the netCDF libraries and utilities.  It's only necessary to
run "make install" as root (or with sudo), after make check has
succeeded.

I don't know why you get an error with icc when building netCDF as
root.  If you need to compile with icc rather than gcc, you can check
some of the reports of successful compilation with the Intel comilers
in either of these locations:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-netcdf-with-the-intel-compilers/

--Russ