[netCDF #NFO-217382]: Variables not displayed with ncdump

Hi,

> I know that coordinate variables must have the same name than dimensions. I
> also have some files with variables that defines the attribute 'coordinates'
> in order to find the coordinate variables if the names do not comply the
> first case. And in another file, the attributes 'positions' and
> 'connections' are declared in order to find such coordinates. For these
> files, there's no problem, all variables are found. However, for this one
> file, there is no easy way to find such variables as they are not
> recognized.
>
> What I don't understand is how Panoply can display the main variable with
> the right coordinates whereas ncdump cannot even find them. I saw that
> Panoply was using ncBrowse to read the netcdf file, but if I use it, the
> variables are not found.

Panoply uses the netCDF-Java API rather than the C API which ncdump uses.  Still
that doesn't explain why it should see variables ncdump can't, because the
netCDF
format is API-neutral.  Can you make the file in question available to us,
either as
an email attachment or on a server, so that we can investigate further?  Thanks!

--Russ

> 2010/11/15 Unidata netCDF Support <address@hidden>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > When I run "ncdump -k ..." it returns "classic" format. And the netcdf
> > > library that I uses is the 4.1.1 version.
> >
> > ncdump -h should show all the variables names shapes and types, but not the
> > values
> > of any variables.  ncdump -c shows the information ncdump -h shows plus the
> > values
> > of coordinate variables, but it looks like your netCDF file has no
> > coordinate variables.
> >
> > A netCDF coordinate variable has the same name as the corresponding netCDF
> > dimension.
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > > This is the dump that I obtain in Panoply if I select "Only plottable
> > > variables" (or using ncdump) :
> > >
> > > dimensions:
> > > TSTEP = UNLIMITED;   // (1 currently)
> > > LAY = 15;
> > > ROW = 398;
> > > COL = 478;
> > > variables:
> > > float O3(TSTEP, LAY, ROW, COL);
> > > O3:long_name = "O3              ";
> > > O3:units = "ppmV            ";
> > > O3:var_desc = "Variable O3  ";
> > >
> > > Otherwise, if I select "All variables", 4 other variables are displayed:
> > > double x(COL=478);
> > > :units = "km";
> > > :long_name = "synthesized coordinate from XORIG XCELL global
> > > attributes";
> > > :_CoordinateAxisType = "GeoX";
> > > double y(ROW=398);
> > > :units = "km";
> > > :long_name = "synthesized coordinate from YORIG YCELL global
> > > attributes";
> > > :_CoordinateAxisType = "GeoY";
> > > double level(LAY=15);
> > > :units = "sigma";
> > > :long_name = "synthesized coordinate from VGLVLS global attributes";
> > > :positive = "down";
> > > :_CoordinateAxisType = "GeoZ";
> > > int time(TSTEP=1);
> > > :units = "seconds since 2010-10-27 00:00:00 UTC";
> > > :long_name = "synthesized time coordinate";
> > > :_CoordinateAxisType = "Time";

> > file,
> > displayed.

> > recognized

> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: NFO-217382
> > Department: Support netCDF