[netCDF #KLN-901251]: netcdf-4 with C++ interface in the future?

Hi Tim,

> Do you have any plans in this direction. So that I would be able to
> write netcdf-4 files using the c++ interface sometime in the future?

Yes, and we have something you can already try, thanks to a
contribution of efforts and resulting code from Lynton Appel and the
Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) in Oxfordshire.

A link is available from our documentation page to the draft reference
documenation for the experimental new package (see the link "netCDF-4
C++ interface"):

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/cxx4

The code is available and builds OK if you configure using
--enable-cxx4, including running "make check". There are some
examples as well. As far as I know the API is in use at CCFE,
but we only occasionally incorporate their updates in our
releases. I think we incorporated one update since 4.1.1,
but am not sure.

The limitation in the current implementation that needs to be
addressed before we announce the availability of this contributed
software is its inability to create netCDF classic or netCDF-4
classic-model format files. Currently it can only create netCDF-4
files.

--Russ

Ticket ID: KLN-901251
Department: Support netCDF