[netCDF #RTE-131011]: Build failure netCDF 4.1.1 on AIX

Hi Mark,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your question ...
> I am trying to build netCDF 4.1.1 on AIX
>
> I managed to build & install netCDF 3.6.3 and then built HDF5
> 1.8.5-patch1, all with no problems, once I'd ensured that the make
> files were being processed by GNU make, that no other GNU tools
> were getting involved, and that OBJECT_MODE was set to 64.
>
> The configure command is
>
> export OBJECT_MODE=64
>
> CC=xlc_r FC=xlf_r F90=xlf95_r ./configure --enable-netcdf-4
> --disable-dap --with-hdf5=/home/hadfield/local/AIX-00CD7D244C00
> --prefix=/home/hadfield/local/AIX-00CD7D244C00
>
> Output was saved to config.out, which is attached.

Yes, that was a bug fixed in the beta release, as you discovered.

> I tried again with 4.1.2-beta1. Make now runs to completion, but
> make check fails 35 of 54 tests. The output of make check is
> attached. Each of the failures also produces a memory fault
> message like the following to stderr:
>
> /bin/sh: 193208 Memory fault

The fact that the first failed test is a test of handling attributes
in the HDF5 library seems to point to a problem with the installed
HDF5-patch1 library:

> *** Checking HDF5 file functions some more.
> *** Checking opaque attribute creation...ok.
> *** Tests successful!
> PASS: tst_h_files2
> FAIL: tst_h_atts

After installing HDF5-patch1, did "make check" for the HDF5 build
run successfully?

--Russ

Ticket ID: RTE-131011
Department: Support netCDF