[netCDF #WRC-365648]: installing netCDF on C++

Hi Azita,

> I am a newbie here and I am totally confused about installing netCDF on
> Visual Studio 2008 C++ Windows 7.
>
> I downloaded the rebuilt dll from:
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.6.1-beta1-win32dll.zip
>
> as it was mentioned in the document and copy it to the Windows/Systems 32
> directory.
>
> The confusing part is this sentence in the installation document:
>
> "Note: we don’t have a C++ interface here"
>
> Does it mean that I can not even run the simple .cpp examples that
> mentione= d in the website? Or did I miss some installation steps
> in between?

Yes, unfortunately it means that DLL doesn not include the C++
interface, so you can't use it to run the simple C++ examples.

We have never ported the C++ API to windows, only the C API.

However, we think that if you build from source using the cygwin
developoment environment, you can build the C++ interface.  To build
with cygwin, you can follow the same procedure as with Linux:

http://mailman.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Platform-Notes.html#Platform-Notes

We have plans to make DLLs available for the next release using
cygwin.  Other notes on Windows plans are here:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_1

--Russ

Ticket ID: WRC-365648
Department: Support netCDF