[netCDF #IIN-151372]: NC_USHORT = 65535 problem

> Hi Charlie,

The bug you reported is now fixed in the snapshot release, with a test
run to verify the fix.  The bug was a range test against the maximum
short rather than the maximum unsigned short, so the renge error was
actually returned for all unsigned short values greater than 2**15-1,
not 2**16-1, as was intended.

Thanks again for reporting the problem!

--Russ

> > At some point in the past year or so, two very separate sets of code
> > I maintain started producing errors when asked to write a netCDF4
> > variable of type unsigned short (NC_USHORT) with value = 65535.
> >
> > nco_err_exit(): ERROR netCDF library returned error code -60
> > nco_err_exit(): ERROR nco_put_var<unsigned short> failed with variable
> > ushort_var
> > NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable
> >
> > Is it possible that such a problem has crept into the netCDF4 daily
> > builds? I am using
> >
> > Linked to netCDF library version 4.1.2-beta1-snapshot2010080820,
> > compiled Aug 9 2010 22:13:02
> >
> > The rest of the max/min tests seem to work well, i.e., for INT64,
> > UINT64. Only USHORT behaves oddly.
>
> I was able to reproduce this bug with the current snapshot, using the
> function nc_put_var1_int() to convert and then write the integer 65535 to
> an unsigned short variable, which produced the same message you are
> seeing.
>
> The bug was also in the 4.1.1 release and the 4.0.1 release, but I
> don't have a 4.0 release built to check whether it was OK for that
> version.
>
> We'll try to fix it before the next beta release and let you know when
> a fixed snapshot is available.
>
> A workaround for now would be to write 65535 as an unsigned short
> value, rather than converting to unsigned short from another type,
> because I just checked that just using nc_put_var1() works fine when
> the data is the unsigned int 65535.
>
> --Russ
>
> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: IIN-151372
Department: Support netCDF