[SupportPlaza #VPI-553276]: Registration

Hi Ram,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your question.
> Thanks for the message. As I search unidata website for netCDF, I found
> several versions of NetCDF tar files ending with .Z, .dz and also binaries
> and java. I am rather confused which one should I download that suits my
> system. I have a quard Superpermicro make computer with CentOS 5.0 operating
> system recently gifted by one of my fried in Sweden. I have install Intel
> Fortran compiler version 11.1.046. I would also like to know if I would also
> need to install Intel C++ as well (somewhere I read C++ is not required to
> install netCDF and WRF. Also, the netCDF and WRF software need to be compiled
> with the same compiler. It also appears that mpich is not installed in my
> system. I also could not figure out Which mpich would be appropriate for my
> system.  Could you please suggest me how should I proceed in building the
> codes?

For WRF, which only uses netCDF-3, it is sufficient to install the latest
netcdf.tar.gz, which will be version 4.1.1, from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

and build it from source using the default configure options and
--disable-dap.

I think the WRF users guide answers your other questions, where it says:

 http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_V3/users_guide_chap2.htm

  If netCDF-4 is used, be sure that it is installed without activating
  the new capabilities (such as parallel I/O based on HDF5). The WRF
  modeling system currently only uses its classic data model supported
  in netCDF-4.

  If you are going to be running distributed memory WRF jobs, you need
  a version of MPI. You can pick up a version of mpich, but you might
  want your system group to install the code. A working installation
  of MPI is required prior to a build of WRF using distributed
  memory. Either MPI-1 or MPI-2 are acceptable.  Do you already have
  an MPI lying around? Try

         which mpif90
         which mpicc
         which mpirun

  If these are all defined executables in your path, you are probably
  OK. Make sure your paths are set up to point to the MPI lib,
  include, and bin directories.  As with the netCDF libraries, you
  must build MPI consistently with the WRF source code.

--Russ

Ticket ID: VPI-553276
Department: Support netCDF