[netCDF #EAY-251393]: Bugs in netcdf-4.1.1

Hi Larry,

> I have found some errors in the NetCDF 4.1.1 distribution.  I am using
> an Apple Mac Pro (Mac OS X 10.5.8, 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon)
> with Apple's gcc 4.0.1 and Intel's 11.1 64-bit compilers, and a
> Linux-64 system (CentOS Linux-64 Release 4.5, 2 X 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
> AMD Opteron) with Red Hat/CentOS's gcc 3.4.6, Portland Group's 10.3,
> and PathScale's 3.2 64-bit compilers.  I have found fixes for most of
> them.  Descriptions and fixes are given below.
>
> I have attached the following files:
>
> Makefile-netcdf-4.1.1 - generates original and patched source trees,
> runs configure and make
> mac-log-files.tar.gz - log files from Mac OS X (if you need them)
> linux-log-files - log files from CentOS Linux-64 (if you need them)
>
> The makefile instructions are:
>
> > #
> > # Makefile-netcdf-4.1.1
> > #
> > # Place in the directory containing netcdf.tar.gz
> > #
> > # Generate original source tree:
> > #
> > #    make -f Makefile-netcdf-4.1.1 original
> > #
> > # Generate patched source tree (the default):
> > #
> > #    make -f Makefile-netcdf-4.1.1 [ patched ]
> > #
> > # Generate source tree, configure and make both original and patched
> > versions
> > # of the library using the GNU (with and without -pedantic), Intel,
> > Portland
> > # Group, or PathScale compilers:
> > #
> > #    make -f Makefile-netcdf-4.1.1 { gnu | pedantic | intel | pgi |
> > pathscale }
> > #
> > # The results will be in gnu/{original,patched}, etc.
> > #

Thanks for the fixes.  Due to a fairly refactor after the release of
netCDF 4.1.1 to create the 4.1.2-beta version we're currently
developing and testing, your 4.1.1 patches can't all be used directly
on the current development source, but we'll look at the fixes
individually and see which are still applicable

> 4. warning: implicit declaration of function `fsync'
>
> > nc.c:1476: warning: implicit declaration of function `fsync'
>
> CentOS 4.5 Linux (gcc 3.4.6) does not support fsync. Fixed by hard-
> coding the disabling of the experimental fsync support in configure.
> (Is it actually necessary? Can the experimental fsync support code
> and configuration option be removed?)

I'm surprised at this.  fsync() is part of most Unix standards, and we
have reports that netCDF 4.1.1 has been built on CentOS without using
the --disable-fsync option to configure.  Also as far as I know mysql
and other open source database systems use fsync and run on CentOS.
Can you point to a reference about lack of CentOS support for fsync?
Is this for just a particular specific filesystem on CentOS?

--Russ

Ticket ID: EAY-251393
Department: Support netCDF