[netCDF #XBA-668885]: GeoTiff to NetCDF

Hi Rober,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your question.
> I have a lot of geoTiff files that i would like to convert
> to netCDF, could you please tell me how i can get this accomplished, i
> have tried to convert a geoTiff into a nc file, but havent had any
> luck opening the generated nc file in IDV, i have attached the
> original geoTiff and the generated NC file so you can take a  look. I
> only have access to Open Source software, so i tried using
> gdal_translate to get this done, do you know of any other program that
> makes this process easy, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am
> knew to GIS and really need all the help i can get.... Just what steps
> i  need to take to convert a GeoTiff into a NetCDF, all the files that
> i have represent the same geographic location, just different days....

Sorry, I don't know any open source software other than GDAL for geoTiff
to netCDF conversion.

> I'm pretty sure that the netCDF file that I'm making is not formatted
> correctly, so if you could give me a tutorial on how to do this i
> would really appreciate it.

It looks fine as a netCDF file, but ncdump shows it has lots of "missing" data,
represented in the ncdump output as "NaNf", which is the symbol used for a
floating point "Not a Number", often used to represent missing values.  Having
missing values doesn't indicate the data is wrong, it could be intentional,
such as data for sea-surface temperatures over land areas.

Also, gdal_translate does the best it can with whatever metadata is
available in the original geoTiff file, but if some metadata is missing,
such as information needed to provide the lat/lon coordinates of the data,
the resulting netCDF file won't be viewable over a map in the IDV.

--Russ

Ticket ID: XBA-668885
Department: Support netCDF