[netCDF #IUI-742485]: netcdf problem report: ./configure failed

Hi Sasha,

It looks like you are using the gcc that comes with MacOS X, but a gfortran
installed in /usr/local/bin/gfortran that's not compatible with it.
On MacOS X, I've always had to use the same version gcc as gfortran,
and then things seem to work fine.

For example, I built netcdf-4.1.1 on MacOS X 10.6.4 using the gcc and
gfortran versions 4.4.1 from the gcc-leopard-intel-bin.tar.gz (Intel
Mac) link on http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, but you could probably also
use the 4.5 versions, from the gcc-snwleo-intel-bin.tar.gz (Snow
Leopard) link on the same web site, if you've got the newer x86_64
x86_64 and Snow Leopard. These are binary distributions, so
installation is quick and easy installing matching gcc/gfortran in
/usr/local/bin according to the instructions on that site:

  ... Download my binaries, and cd to the download folder. Then gunzip
  gcc-bin.tar.gz (if your browser didn't do so already) and sudo tar
  -xvf gcc-bin.tar -C /. It installs everything in /usr/local. You
  invoke F95 by typing gfortran. You will also need to have Apple's
  Developer Tools installed. ...

After installing, set your PATH to include /usr/local/bin first, so those
gcc and gfortran versions are found by the configure script. Then
everything should just work when you invoke

  ./configure --prefix=<whatever>
  make check
  make install

--Russ