[netCDF #CAF-785846]: cygwin/gfortran 4.6/netcdf-4.1.1 link problem

Rich,

> For some reason nc-config did not get installed in the specified
> directory where ncdump and ncgen went (/usr/local/gfortran/bin), but
> running this in the source directory for netcdf 4.1.1 produced this:
>
> $ ./nc-config --flibs
> -L/usr/local/gfortran/lib -lnetcdf -L/usr/local/gfortran/lib -lhdf5_hl
> -lhdf5 -L/usr/local/lib -lz -lm -lcurl -lidn -lssh2 -lssl -lcrypto
> -lssl -lcrypto -lz
>
> And sure enough, when I used that, it worked!    Sheesh, glad we have
> this command, because I don't think I would have come up with that
> compile line on my own.    ;-)

It's possible the nc-config you're using was for a different buid of netCDF
that didn't specify --disable-netcdf4, because you should not need -lhdf5_hl or
-lhdf5 for a library without netCDF-4.  It might work fine if you just
delete those.

Most of the other libraries are just needed for the OPeNDAP client support.
"-L/usr/local/gfortran/lib -lnetcdf".

--Russ

If you build with --enable-shared, linking can get dramatically simpler, as
the dynamically loaded libraries "know" what they depend on, so you don't
have to.  With a shared build, you might only need
> Thanks!
> -Rich
>

> > Also, if you installed nc-config along with the other netCDF utilities
> > like ncgen and ncdump, you should look at the output from
> >
> >  nc_config --flibs
> >
> > which will show how Fortrna programs should be linked with your
> > installation.
> >
> > If none of these solve the problem, please let us know ...
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: CAF-785846
> > Department: Support netCDF