[netCDF #GYY-449532]: Error in installing netCDF 4.0.1

Hi Gwen,

> I am trying to install netCDF 4.0.1 without HDF5. I have tried to
> install with both gcc and studio compilers and I am getting the same
> error message.  Please find the configure log, and a file containing
> the output from the configure and make statements, attached. If you
> have any suggestion of how to get round this problem that would be
> greatly appreciated.

From the lines in config.log:

  configure:3854: finding C compiler
  configure:3911: checking for xlc
  configure:3941: result: no
  configure:3911: checking for cc
  configure:3927: found /usr/ucb/cc
  configure:3938: result: cc
  configure:3974: checking for C compiler version
  configure:3982: cc --version >&5
  /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed

/usr/ucb/cc is being used as the C compiler, because the configure
script looks for a C compiler in your PATH named "cc" if you don't
explicitly specify a C compiler using the CC environment variable
before invoking the configure script.  /usr/ucb/cc on Solaris is not
actually a compiler, but instead just a wrapper script that calls a
Sun compiler, if it's installed.  Typically on Sun systems, you want
to have the directory /opt/SUNWspro/bin in your PATH for Sun compilers
or a directory where GNU compilers like gcc are installed.

If you want to use gcc (which I assume because the gcc executables
directory is first in your PATH) set CFLAGS=gcc before invoking the
configure script.  Similarly, if you want the Fortran API, you should
set FC=gfortran or FC=g95, depending on which compiler you have
installed or prefer.

I hope this helps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GYY-449532