[netCDF #NCZ-995525]: netcdf on MAC intel ifort

Prashant,

> >> Trying to build netcdf4.1.1 on Mac Quad Core Intel Xeon, OS X 10.5.8,
> >> ifort, icc
> >>
> >> Using:
> >> ./configure --prefix=/Users/pmv/bin/netcdf/4_1_1 --disable-netcdf-4
> >>
> >> Gives error:
> >>
> >> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> >> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error:
> >> Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
> >> ./configure: line 332: printf: write error: Broken pipe
> >
> > This indicates a problem with the way ifort is configured and
> > installed or use of a different C compiler than icc with ifort,
> > perhaps due to not setting the PATH before ivoking configure so that
> > icc and ifort are found as the C and Fortran compilers.
>
> I installed ifort 11.1 & icc 11.1 as per Intel instructions. both
> ifort & icc commands work.
> they are in /usr/bin/ifort & /usr/bin/icc
>
> Here is my PATH:
> RLM:netcdf-4.1.1 > echo $PATH
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:./:/Users/pmv/bin:/Users/pmv/bin/NCAR/bin:/Users/pmv/
> bin/mpich2-install/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/
> usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> I also have gcc, g95, & gfortran installed. Could that be a problem?

No, your configure output indicates icc and ifort are found and seem to
work fine.

> > One user indicated this worked on MacOS X 10:
> >
> >  CC="icc"
> >  FC="ifort"
> >  CFLAGS='-O3 -xN -ip -no-prec-div -static'
> >  FFLAGS='-O3 -xN -ip -no-prec-div -static'
> >  ./configure
> >  make check
> >  make install
>
> This one failed: output is in congig1_out, config1.log files attached
> here

The config1.log looks fine and the config1_out.rtf shows that the configure
script completed creating Makefiles and only failed at the end:
 config.status: creating config.h\
 config.status: config.h is unchanged\
 config.status: creating nfconfig.inc\
 config.status: executing depfiles commands\
 config.status: executing libtool commands\
 ./configure: line 21772: printf: write error: Broken pipe\
 ./configure: line 30110: printf: write error: Broken pipe\

I suspect this is because you have a private "sort" command in your
PATH, in /Users/pmv/bin/Scale6.0/cmds/sort, that the configure script
is making use of as if it were the standard Unix sort command, which
can be used in a pipe.  Can you either rename your sort command or
take its directory out of your PATH temporarily while you run the
configure script?  The config1.log shows that directory is in your
PATH.  Your config2.log shows the same problem.

That ought to at least get you to the point where you can run
"make check" ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: NCZ-995525
Department: Support netCDF