[netCDF #CGQ-607993]: Questions about netCDF

> Forgive my ignorance, but what's a snapshot release?

Sorry, sometimes I revert to speaking in jargon :-).  A snapshot
release is just a source code release of the software that contains
all the most recent changes up to the time it is tested each day.  So
it's a "snapshot" of the current state of the software, with recent
bug fixes, improvements, and unfortunately also possibly recently
introduced bugs that haven't yet been identified as such.  Because it
is only tested on one platform, it may not be as portable as a normal
release.

A normal release is typically created by performing extensive
multi-platform testing on a stable snapshot release containing the
desired improvements and bug fixes.  When it passes those tests, it
may be relabeled as a "candidate release" and announced as available
for testing by other users, external to the Unidata Program Center.

If no significant bugs are discovered in a release candidate as the
result of external testing, it then becomes a normal release, but if
additional problems are identified, several iterations of release
candidates may be required.  For example, netCDF version 4.1.1-rc1
(release candidate 1) went through release candidate 3 before finally
graduating to the normal release named version 4.1.1.

--Russ

> Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
> > Becky,
> >

> >> I got a follow-up question from my boss today about the information I
> >> gave him on UNIDATA's support of netCDF.  Actually, two questions.
> >>
> >> One was about how you handle security issues and patches with the software.
> >>

> > So far we haven't had any security issues with netCDF libraries or
> > utilities.
> > If a security issue were identified, we would give priority to fixing it and
> > would announce the availability of the fix (in terms of a patch or more
> > likely a new "snapshot" release) on the netcdfgroup mailing list.
> >

> >> The second was for a rough idea of how often you release new versions of
> >> the software.
> >>

> > We make snapshot releases available approximately every night.  A snapshot
> > release must pass all tests on one platform (Linux) but is not required to
> > pass testing on the many platforms required for a normal release.  We aim to
> > make regular releases approximately every six months.
> >
> > --Russ
> >

> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: CGQ-607993
> > Department: Support netCDF