[Support #YOU-609917]: NetCDF 4.1.1 with PGI 10.4 breaks

> BTW:  This issue occurred regardless of whether I had followed step 2 of
> the recipe to edit:
> *pgCC\ [1-5].* | *pgcpp\ [1-5].*)
>
> (can't remember which version of the logs I sent, but you should be able
> to reproduce the problem).
>

> ________________________________

No, our testing has been with pgf95 9.0.3 used with gcc 4.3.2, which worked
fine "out of the box", without the changes recommended on the Portland Group
web page you cited.  The successful output from the 4.1.1 test to just build
and test the netCDF-3 libraries is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/4_1_1/out_spock_2010040807_17_0.txt

from using

  CPPFLAGS= CC=cc CFLAGS=-m32 CXX=c++ CXXFLAGS=-m32 FC=pgf95 FCFLAGS=-g
F77=pgf95 FFLAGS=-g LDFLAGS= LIBS=-L/machine/local_shared/lib FLIBS= F90LIBS=
./configure --disable-netcdf-4
  make check install

Similar output for a netCDF-4 build is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/4_1_1/out_spock_2010040807_17_1.txt

from using the same environment variables but configure arguments

  ./configure --with-curl-config=/machine/local_32/bin/curl-config
--enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=/machine/local_32

It will be a while before we get upgraded to the 10.4 PGI compilers, so we can't
reproduce the problem currently.  I recommend applying step 2 from the PGI page
(because
otherwise the version 10.x compiler seems to be treated like a version 1.x
compiler),
but otherwise just try the standard configure and make check on 4.1.1 using gcc
and pgf95,
as we did in testing 4.1.1  If you have problems with that, please send us the
output
listed here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

and we'll try to figure out why it's not working.

--Russ

Ticket ID: YOU-609917
Department: Support