[netCDF #IVN-676408]: Problems with netCDF files in IDL

Hi Mark,

> When I said that we were using some old calls, I meant it. We were
> calling ncvarputg, ncvarput, ncvarput1, ncvargetg, ncvarget, and
> ncvarget1 - none of which are even found in the current C reference. I
> just replaced each with their equivalent. Our wrapper code is old, and
> it's not surprising that we were using such old calls. It does seem odd,
> however, that the NetCDF library didn't try to redirect the old API
> calls to something newer, but I doubt that it's the sort of thing that
> is worth worrying about."

You may want to pass on to your IDL contact that ncvarputg, ncvarput,
ncvarput1, ncvargetg, ncvarget, ncvarget1, and all other netCDF C API calls
from the
version 2 API are still supported in the current netCDF releases (and will
continue to be).  The only way to build a library without those calls is to
build it with the --disable-v2 option to the configure script.  We still make
documentation for those calls available here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/old_docs/really_old/guidec/

The links in that documentation had been broken by moving it, but they are fixed
now, so soon search engines will find documentation for the old calls, which
should assist in conversions like IDL had to go through.

--Russ

--Russ

Ticket ID: IVN-676408
Department: Support netCDF