[netCDF #LBY-984752]: Trouble with installing netCDF

> Hi,
>
> I am a PhD student at Binghamton University in CS. I am trying to get
> netCDF installed as a required component of working with GOTM and GETM
> CFD modeling.
>
> I have been playing with trying to get netCDF installed error free
> off-and-on for a while now (at least 2 to 3 weeks). After going through
> your install guide and a lot of search on the web and your
> web-site :http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/4_1/index.jsp,
> the attached are the log files of the configuration that seems to have got me
> farthest.
>
> I am trying to build netcdf-4 on Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) with
> Gnu Fortran and mpich2 parallelization support.
>
> The config.log file is attached.
>
> The successful "install.log" is also attached.
>
> However, <make check install> fails and aborts in nf_test. In
> particular, it fails in compiling "f90tst_parallel3.f90" -- see lines
> 2563+ of file build.log attached. There also some errors in HDF5-DIAG --
> see lines 1095 - 1208.
>
> Thanks for any help, insight, configuration correction you can provide.
>
> Regards,
> Sumit

Howdy Sumit!

Firstly, this is just a test program problem, not a netCDF library problem. So
you could just ignore this.

Your fortran compiler is being a lot more picky than mine is! Mine does not
complain that the strings below are of different lengths, but yours does.

       (/ 'byte', 'short', 'int', 'float', 'double', 'ubyte', 'ushort', 'uint'
                 1
Error: Different CHARACTER lengths (4/5) in array constructor at (1)
f90tst_parallel3.f90:96.35:

I have changed the code so that it now reads:
  character (len = *), parameter :: var_name(NUM_VARS) = &
       (/ 'byte__', 'short_', 'int___', 'float_', 'double', 'ubyte_', 'ushort',
'uint__' /)

So now all of the variable names used by the test program will be the same
length. Perhaps your compiler will still find other problems with the code that
mine is not, but if you want to give it a try, get the latest snapshot:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-daily.tar.gz

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: LBY-984752
Department: Support netCDF