[netCDF #NNK-996117]: problem installing on AIX 5.3

> I am not sure if the
> reason for this error
> has ever been found.
> I did find this message in the
> archives
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg05563.html)
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> I too have been frustrated by this problem. And I don't know what causes it,
> or
> even if my solution is totally insane.
>
> Insane it may be, but it works for me. These functions can be found in the gcc
> C library, so I link to the gcc one sometimes, to get rid of this problem. For
> example, here's what I have to set to get this problem to go away with an AIX
> build:
>
> LDFLAGS=-L/opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.0.0/2.95.2/powerpc
> LIBS=-lgcc
>
> This pulls those missing functions from the gcc library.
>
> But I have never figured out why I should have to do this. If  I had time to
> track this down I would contact the compiler manufacturer (IBM in my case) and
> ask what is going on.
>
> But this remains one of the great unresolved mysteries of netCDF porting. So
> please let me know if this works for you, or if you ever figure out more about
> this problem.

If you google around, you can see that this is a problem that happens to many
packages on AIX, and occasionally even on Linux platforms. From what I read on
the web, the usual suspect is that something is wrong with the xlc install, for
example it was moved around or installed in non-standard ways, or was compiled
for a similar but slightly different platform (for example, a different version
of AIX, or some tools, was used on the xlc build machine).

Also from google, I see that many others do my crazy solution of linking to the
gcc library too.

Did you try contacting customer support at IBM and asking them about this
problem?

Have you tried setting LIBS=-lm and then configuring and building netCDF?

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: NNK-996117
Department: Support netCDF