[netCDF #HYK-373191]: Problems with building NETCDF using the NAG nagfor (release 5.2) compiler under cygwin

> I think the problem is not with the compiler, but searching through your
> problem reports and FAQ, I have not been able to solve the problem.  I
> successfully configured (with diagnostics related to trying to compile
> illegal Fortran with this compiler and ignored them) and problems with the
> tests requirubg use of -dusty or -mismatch compiler options.  But the failure
> I am experiencing is with make install where I get the following result and
> diagnostic
> :
> bash-3.2$ make install
> Making install in f90
> make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/BTS/NETCDF/NETCDF_4.0.1_CYGWIN/f90'
> make  install-am
> make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/BTS/NETCDF/NETCDF_4.0.1_CYGWIN/f90'
> /bin/sh ../libtool   --mode=link nagfor -I../libsrc -I.  -g   -o
> libnetcdff90.la  typeSizes.lo  netcdf.lo
> libtool: link: lib -OUT:.libs/libnetcdff90.lib  typeSizes.o netcdf.o
> ../libtool: line 958: lib: command not found
> make[2]: *** [libnetcdff90.la] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/BTS/NETCDF/NETCDF_4.0.1_CYGWIN/f90'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/BTS/NETCDF/NETCDF_4.0.1_CYGWIN/f90'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> This is using cygwin.  I have successful built the NETCDF code and tested it
> on my own codes using Mint Lunux using the same NAG
> compiler (release 5.2, edit 717)
>
> Can you suggest a workaround or a solution?  Thanks.

Howdy Brian!

Libtool is trying to use a linker called "lib" to link the code, and that
linker cannot be found. This is puzzling to me, because I believe cygwin should
be calling ld.

Did you any flags to get lib to be used as the loader?

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: HYK-373191
Department: Support netCDF